Museums Scotland Street School Museum
|Tue||10:00am - 5:00pm|
|Wed||10:00am - 5:00pm|
|Thu||10:00am - 5:00pm|
|Fri||11:00am - 5:00pm|
|Sat||10:00am - 5:00pm|
|Sun||11:00am - 5:00pm|
Scotland Street School was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh between 1903-1906 for the School Board of Glasgow. With many features built into the stonework and staircases, there is something to admire around every corner!
Now as a museum, it tells the story of 100 years of education in Scotland, from the late 19th century to the late 20th century.
When Scotland Street School first opened on 15 August 1906, it educated the children of families mainly working in shipbuilding and engineering on the south side of Glasgow.
Find out what school days were like in the reign of Queen Victoria, during World War II, and in the 1950s and 60s, in our three reconstructed classrooms. You can even dress up as a pupil from the past!
Check Scotland Street School Museum on TripAdvisor or leave a review.
- Guide and assistance dogs are welcome
- There is wheelchair and pram access to all public areas using the lifts and there are free wheelchairs available to hire at reception
- If you have any further access requirements, please call us and we will try our best to accommodate them.
- You can find further access information for this venue on the DisabledGo website.
- If you use British Sign Language, you can watch a British Sign Language introduction to Scotland Street School Museum.
- Download a Scotland Street School Museum Floor Plan
- There are vending machines and indoor and outdoor picnic areas
- The building has free wifi
- The venue has a cloakroom
Parking is available at the SPT car park across the road from the museum where standard charges apply
How to get here
Use Traveline Scotland to plan your trip
By train - the nearest mainline stations are Queen Street and Central Station,
Subway - the nearest subway station is Shields Road.
By bus - First Bus services 90 and 121 stop near the museum.
- Visit Scotland 4 star visitor attraction.
- Green tourism business scheme silver award
Scotland Street School Museum is available for hire. The museum can used for a range of private events.
It has also been used as a film and tv location.
Please visit our venue hire website for more information.
Within this architectural gem of a building, our themed classrooms are a fascinating insight into schooldays throughout the decades.Find out more